Sunday 18 July 2010

only one flood in every 50 years

For the last 2 months, it had already flooded 3 times???

Meng said not to worry, the next one would be in 200 years' time because it had already flooded 3 times.

Two nights ago, Meng and I were woken up by strong winds and torrential rain. I had some windows left open for ventilation and when I got up to check, rain water had ponded in some parts of my living and dining room.

Meng kept mumbling about his car. He asked me whether our basement will flood or not. I said, NO, because there hasn't been any incidences. But he kept worrying about his baobei sports car parked in the basement. You see, I live in Bukit Timah which is a flood prone area. Tessarina condo (the one with the completely flooded basement carpark reported in the news recently) is just a few condos away from mine.

Meng told me he slept fitfully. First thing in the morning, he took the lift down to the basement to check. He said the moment the lift door opened, he was immediately relief because no water rushed in at him. Straightaway, he pressed the button to go up again.

That day, I found out our lifts were damaged by the rainwater when the pipe carrying rainwater had burst opened and the rainwater had leaked into the electrical room. All in all, it was good that we didn't have a flooded basement because, we have two cars.

Today......

After church service, my friend (who lives in a Bukit Timah cluster house.... on Gentle Road) told me her basement was flooded up to the ceiling on Saturday @ 5 am. They and their neighbours were in a mad frenzy trying to stop water from flowing into their homes. They called every agency they know of whom they think can help, i.e, PWD, police, fire dept, their condo developer, etc. Finally, one agency handed them some sandbags but it was too late. Her husband's BMW was a gone case and awaiting the tow truck. I heard none of their neighbours managed to save their cars from complete submersion except for one lucky guy's car. Immediately, I offered to help her clean up her house's basement level. Four of us went over to help. By then, most of the water had subsided leaving water marks and mud dirt all over the basement. It was madness. Tow trucks had a hard time maneuvering in the narrow basement carpark. It took a long while (something like an hour) just to tow out one car. We had to clear out many stuff inside the cupboards and in the bedroom. The guys had to move and dispose of one bed and a mattress. I think my guy friend caught a live frog inside the wardrobe. I was mopping endlessly. Finally, we got hold of a water hose and hose down all the dirt inside the cupboards, on the walls and on every nooks and corners on the floor. The development looks like a big mess with all sorts of broken down and wet furniture and appliances placed out in the open.

It was hardwork. It had been a very tiring day for me.

I am going to sleep early.

No comments:

Post a Comment